Monday, November 9, 2009

Spinning


I'll admit it -- my spinning, using both the spindle and the wheel, never really got out of the park and draft mode. However, at some point I felt I acquired a decent sense of handling the drafting triangle and was beginning to spin a more consistent yarn.
After my first spinning attempts I spun 8oz of corriedale cream top purchased from Alpaca Direct. This produced 279 yards of single spun yarn. I tea dyed 203 yards and kept 76 yards in the original color.

I also spun 4oz of shetland roving purchased from Iron Horse Farm. I did ply this yarn but the ply came out so loose that I don't think I did it properly. The skeined yarn hung remarkable balanced both before and after setting the twist but it looks just barely plyed -- more like just holding two single strands together. This produced 111 yards of 2 ply yarn.


I did like learning to spin but I never took to it. I love touching and handling yarn but that tactile enjoyment did not transfer over to roving.

No comments:

Post a Comment