Friday, July 17, 2009

First Spinning Attempts

After the spindle and I decided to take a break from each other, I took a spinning wheel class at Iron Horse Farms. Ahhhh, this is more like it! The spinning wheel and I are kindred spirits.

Here are my first attempts before setting the twist. They are all single ply except for #4 which is a small sample from the plying lesson done during the spinning class.

The details:
#1 Is the yarn I spun using a top-whorl spindle. The roving was given to me by the seller of the spindle and I don't know what kind of wool it is. My first spindle spinning was so bad that I also have a mangled ball of fiber and semi-spun yarn. Maybe I can comb it out and try again? I'll have to research that.

#2 Oh my! This is my very first batch fresh off the bobbin. Seriously, seriously, seriously over spun! The roving was supplied from the spinning class and I don't remember what kind it is. My problem is that I can't draft the fiber as fast as I'm spinning the wheel. It's what to work on.

#3 My second batch of spinning. Looking better! but still over spun. This is 100% Shetland.

#4 The plied sample from class. Since this is the work of my very first wheel spinning and plying .... I LOVE IT! My very own "Designer" yarn. While over spun and under spun, both in the plies and in the plying, it's my first and that's always special.

#5 My third batch of spinning. This was also some sample fiber provided from the spinning class and is a mix of llama and some other wool. While still over spun, this yarn is my most consistent yet. I also found it easier to spin but I don't know if that's about the fiber or experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment