Thursday, December 3, 2009

Spiral Rib Hat

This hat was knit with the plied Shetland handspun (see spinning) and worked on size 10 circular needles. The stitch pattern is K2,P2 ribbing for 4 rows and then the pattern shifts by ending the 4th row with a K2,P1 (stopping one stitch short.) Reset the row marker and start the next row with that last stitch (in other words, the stitch which should have been purled at the end of the 4th row is now the start of the K2,P2 ribbing for the next 4 rows). The complete hat pattern is copyrighted so I can't give more details but it's not any more difficult than working the stitch pattern for the desired length and following the usual decreasing instructions for the crown of a hat (google the keywords -- knit, hat, decrease, crown).

1 comment:

  1. Hello:) Your hat came out beautifully. I bought this pattern and am a fairly new knitter. I followed the directions on the pattern and my question is: I did stop o ne stitch short and reset the marker and I did start the next row with the last stitch but when I finished the row I am now one stich and then the marker...so I purled 2 and then knit 1? or do I move the marker each row to get back that stitch? thanks in advance for your help:) dianna

    ReplyDelete