Friday, July 17, 2009

Sally

The spinning wheel that I am learning on is an "Ashford Traveller" and it is on loan from Framingham State College. Sally (I have no idea if she has another given name but Sally is the one she'll be going by this summer!) was a little run down from long periods of inactivity and years of teaching many different students so I took her in to Debbie at Iron Horse Farm for a check-up. Her joints are beginning to separate due to dry wood (she needs to be polished regularly) and the threads on the drive band tension knob had been stripped and needed to be rescored but that was the worst of it. Oiling, tightening nuts and bolts, replacing the whorl tension spring and placing a tack between the drive band knob and wood table took care of the rest of it. Sally is a sturdy and functioning spinning wheel.

I'm ready to learn to spin!

This is the best video I found for wheel spinning:
Spin Worsted-style - The Short Draw

No comments:

Post a Comment