Friday, July 10, 2009

Getting Started

I am a huge believer in reading everything I can get my hands on whenever I start a new project. Along with the how-to's, I enjoy reading about the practices and opinions of people doing the craft. I like reading what experts have to say and the tricks that years of experience have taught them. I also like reading what crafter's just starting to learn have done to achieve their "aha--now I get it" moment. Here's a list of the books and websites I used to get started with spinning and dyeing yarn.

Books:
  • Spinning and Dyeing the Natural Way By Ruth Castino
  • Spinning Designer Yarns By Diane Varney
  • Start Spinning: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great Yarn by Maggie Casey
  • Spinning in the Old Way: How (and Why) To Make Your Own Yarn With A High-Whorl Handspindle by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts
  • Spin to Knit: The Knitter's Guide to Making Yarn by Shannon Okey
  • Yarns to Dye For: Creating Self-patterning Knitting Yarns by Kathleen Taylor
  • The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits by Linda LaBelle
  • Creating Knitwear Designs (Guild of Master Craftsman) by Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer

  • Websites:
  • Fiber Arts Video
  • ICanSpin.com
  • Abby's Yarns
  • The Joy of Handspinning

  • Social Networking
  • Ravelry
  • Ravelry is about the only social networking I use for fiber/needle arts and I found several useful groups for spinning:
    Spinner Central
    Beginning Spinners
    Spindlers

    No comments:

    Post a Comment