Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Spindle Spinning


All the books and websites I read recommend that you start learning how to spin by using a drop spindle. Drop spindles have a number of advantages-- they are: 1) Low tech. You don't need a manual to learn how to operate them. 2) Low cost. Spindles can be bought or handmade cheaply. 3) Easily portable. You can toss a spindle and some fiber in your work bag along with your knitting and crocheting.


These are the videos I found most useful for spindle spinning:
Introduction to spinning, Part 1 (Abby Yarns)
Introduction to spinning, Part 2(Abby Yarns)
How To Spin Yarn With a Drop Spindle

So I took the advice and started learning how to use a drop spindle. I tried both the low whorl spindle and the high whorl spindle but I never got out of "park and draft". I spun some yarn but most of it was useless. The drop spindle and I are not friends but we have not given up entirely that a relationship can be developed. Currently we have an agreement that I "go have an extended visit with the spinning wheel and then come back to see if we're compatible".

There are a few reasons why the relationship didn't get off on a good foot. One reason is that I didn't care for the manipulation of a low whorl spindle and my high whorl spindle may be too light for a beginner. Also, I could have given the spindle a little more practice and patience. However, I think the real reason the spindle and I didn't get off to a good start is that I'm a gadget/machine person and I just really, really, really wanted to start playing with the spinning wheel!

No comments:

Post a Comment